The Blacksmith Shop was built in Chesterfield, New Hampshire, in the mid-nineteenth century of seam-faced granite from nearby quarries.
Taking down the old shop was a slow process because the stones were well cemented together. Each stone, rafter and rafter pin was numbered for replacement when the building was reconstructed in Storrowton in 1930.
The shop is equipped with many tools the village smith needed over a hundred years ago. An enormous hand bellows and an old forge still operate here. The structure also houses an ox sling, a huge frame of heavy beams used to confine an ox during the shoeing process.
The old stone building was used by the Clark family until 1868. Still in use today, the shop has a smith who repairs and fabricates hardware and creates reproduction cooking utensils for Museum programs. The Village Blacksmith shop sits appropriately “under the spreading Chestnut tree.”
Constructed of stone, the shop has survived for over a century and a half, while wood framed blacksmith shops have fallen to fire or neglect.