The Clark Blacksmith Shop was built in Chesterfield, New Hampshire in the middle of the 19th century. The building is constructed of seam-faced granite and was used by the Clark family until 1868. Like the other buildings in the Village, the shop was taken apart bit by bit for transport -- a time-consuming process since the stones were well cemented together. The building was reconstructed at Storrowton in 1930 and sits appropriately under a Chestnut tree, a reference to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s poem “The Village Blacksmith.” The shop houses a rare antique ox sling, a huge frame of heavy beams used to confine an ox for shoeing, and serves as the classroom for Storrowton’s blacksmith program. The building is a visitor favorite during programs and special events, regularly filled with people watching our modern-day smiths create ironwork using the original forge and bellows.