The North Center School was built in 1810 as a model school in Whately, Massachusetts. Children between the ages of 3 to 18 years-old attended the one-room schoolhouse for over 100 years, practicing lessons in reading, writing, arithmetic and additional subjects as they progressed in their education. The schoolhouse is made of red brick and blackboards line all four walls of the classroom – a feature considered progressive when the structure was built. The bell tower, adapted from a schoolhouse in Vergennes, Vermont, and an attached woodshed and privy were added when the school was moved to Storrowton Village in 1930. The building is nicknamed "The Little Red Schoolhouse" and is the place where many of the museum’s educational programs for children take place.