More Exciting Events

Sign up for email updates from Storrowton Village

Home > Visit > Our Historical Buildings > The Clark Blacksmith Shop

The Clark Blacksmith Shop


of

The Clark Blacksmith Shop (c. 1850)

The Clark Blacksmith Shop was built in Chesterfield, New Hampshire in the middle of the 19th century. The building is constructed of seam-faced granite and was used by the Clark family until 1868. Like the other buildings in the Village, the shop was taken apart bit by bit for transport -- a time-consuming process since the stones were well cemented together. The building was reconstructed at Storrowton in 1930 and sits appropriately under a Chestnut tree, a reference to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s poem “The Village Blacksmith.” The shop houses a rare antique ox sling, a huge frame of heavy beams used to confine an ox for shoeing, and serves as the classroom for Storrowton’s blacksmith program. The building is a visitor favorite during programs and special events, regularly filled with people watching our modern-day smiths create ironwork using the original forge and bellows.
of
Back to
Top
< Back
X