The Gilbert Farmstead originally stood in West Brookfield, Massachusetts. It was built by Levi Gilbert and his brother, Peletiah, in 1794. It has the distinction of being the first building reconstructed at Storrowton Village in 1927. Its construction is typical of the farmhouses of the period, with hand hewn timbers, wrought iron nails and hardware, and wide plank wooden floors. A huge chimney occupies the center of the house and fireplaces open into many of the rooms. Visitors commonly point out raised panel woodworking details, the scallop-shelf corner cabinet in the parlor, and the large kitchen that overlooks the backyard herb garden. The kitchen is a long room with a sizeable hearth for cooking over an open fire as well as ample space for household chores such as laundry, cheese and butter making, baking and preparing food for winter storage.