The Atkinson Tavern once stood at Atkinson Hollow in the town of Prescott, Massachusetts. Prescott, along with three other Swift River Valley towns, was claimed by the state to become Quabbin Reservoir. Helen Storrow “rescued” the building in 1928 and brought it to her blossoming Early American Village. The tavern’s original owner, John Atkinson, used it as a store and tavern and home to his family.
Dances and town meetings took place on the second floor of the tavern in what was the largest hall in Prescott. The rooms used by the family were separated from the store and taproom by a hallway.
Comfortable fireplaces and beautiful paneling still grace this fine example of Early American architecture. The granite hitching posts, linked with iron chains, remain standing in front of the building.