TEEN LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCEApplications accepted here through July 12, 2024
July 23-26, 2024 from 9:00am - 1:30pm
Storrowton’s Teen Leadership Experience invites youth who have completed grades 7-11 to experience 19th century trades in a hands-on setting and receive strengths-based leadership training. This program will show how these trades are still applicable in the 21st century and ways to continue exploring them after the workshops wrap. Students will choose one of three tracks for their experience. All participants will attend the leadership session. All sessions are taught by experienced historical and professional instructors and include the following daily schedule:
Arrival (First day must
arrive at 9:00am)9:30am -
Program tracks 11:45am -
Leadership Workshop1:30pm -
Tracks: TO BE ANNOUNCED!
- Cost to attend this program is $125 per person. Scholarships are available for students in which the cost would pose a barrier for participation.
- Teens must bring a lunch. Refrigeration is provided.
- A maximum of 18 participants will be selected (6 for each program track, though we do try to limit the size to 5 per program track).
- A minimum of 9 participants (3 for each program track) is required by mid-June to run the program.
- The blacksmithing and hearth cooking tracks require that participants attend wearing close-toed shoes.
EARLY AMERICAN SUMMER DAYS COUNSELOR PROGRAM
July 27 & 29, 2024 (Training)
July 30 - August 2, 2024 (Program)Applications accepted here through July 12, 2024
EASD Counselor Training teaches teens to be leaders at Storrowton’s summer youth programs, taking place July 30 - August 2, 2024. This program is only for teens volunteering for EASD and required in order to participate as an EASD counselor. Teen counselors are volunteers, earning 40 volunteer hours over the course of two weeks and a small cash stipend. During training, teens learn leadership skills, are trained on managing groups of children and facilitation of program activities. Teens are guided by the museum staff.
There is no registration fee for EASD Counselor Training. New counselor applicants will be interviewed for this volunteer position. Returning Counselors applying to Senior Counselor positions will also be interviewed. Parental consent is required to participate to ensure teens will have reliable transportation to and from the museum on all days of the training and EASD program.
- A maximum of 10 counselors are needed, this number varies year-to-year, returning counselors and previous EASD and Teen Leader participants will have priority consideration.
- All programs require that participants attend wearing close-toed shoes.
- Teens must feel comfortable wearing 19th century costumes during two days of EASD.
- Counselors must attend two mandatory trainings: 7/27, 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM and 7/29, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Senior & Junior Counselors
guide children through hands-on activities and ensure the safety of children as
they engage in activities. They assist with activity planning, teaching basic
history, and receive special training to fully support kids' needs during their
time at the Village. Senior Counselors take on a higher level of responsibility
for the group and assist with mentoring Junior Counselors. To be an EASD
Counselor, teens must be at least 14 years old and completed 8
grade by the start of EASD, as well as attended Teen Leadership Experience. To
be a Senior Counselor, teens must have been a Junior Counselor for at least one