Facebook Instagram

More Exciting Events

Sign up for email updates from Storrowton Village Museum

Home > About > Our Buildings > Clark Blacksmith Shop

Clark Blacksmith Shop

The Clark Blacksmith Shop

1 of 2


Built in the middle of the nineteenth century, the Clark Blacksmith Shop once stood in Chesterfield, New Hampshire. The building is constructed of seam-faced granite and was used by the Clark family until 1868. The building was brought to Storrowton and reconstructed in 1930. Like the other buildings in the Village, the shop was taken apart stone by stone for transport -- a time-consuming and challenging process. It sits under a chestnut tree, a reference to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s poem “The Village Blacksmith,” and features a rare, antique ox sling, a sturdy wooden structure used to help shoe oxen. It also serves as the classroom for Storrowton’s blacksmith program, where modern smiths learn to create hand-forged items using the shop’s original forge and bellows. This building often pulls large crowds and interested spectators during programs and special events like The Big E.
Back to