The Josiah Day House, inhabited from 1754-1903, witnessed not only road changes but also the evolution of lighting. When Park Street was raised in the 1890’s to allow for trolleys to come over the bridge from Springfield, some houses in the area were affected. The Day House was one of these houses, resulting in the addition of a couple steps to the sidewalk to access the home. Lucinda Day, noted for her thoughtfulness, lit a candle vigilantly every night in the window above the front door so that any visitors might see the added steps.
It is rumored that the candle was lit every night to guide Lucinda’s lost lover home from the sea, although there is no evidence of this. After Lucinda’s death, some claimed to see the candle still lit in the home and that Lucinda’s ghost remained in the house.